Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Fake Plastic Trees

I am driving to work today and passing a whole bunch of Fake Plastic Snowmen standing around in the cold. Poor things. Silent testimony to a world gone mad. Mad for attaching to something meaningful - like back when we were young playing in the snow with family and friends. But we don't do that anymore - too busy. Not to mention the whole global warming thing which threatens the whole concept of snow.

I think back to the time when, living in Mattersdorf (Ultra-Orthodox community in Jerusalem Israel), it blizzarded for a day and I went outside with my kids and we built a 7 foot Ultra-Orthodox snowman. All the other kids in the neighborhood stood around and watched and thought I was crazy because I was the only dad outside. The snow melted in less than 24 hours but the snowman stood in the yard with his black hat and carrot nose and long licorice payos (sidecurls) for a few weeks - silently laughing at all who passed by and wished that they had a snowman too.

People - listen up! I don't generally preach but it's important that you hear this: A Plastic Snowman is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord! Go out and build one when the snow comes - or don't but please don't buy in to the vacuous notion that a plastic replica is anything but a sad testimony to a big empty hole in your heart.

I could go on but I've got to go water the fake plastic tree in my office.

1 comment:

  1. I once built a twelve foot high pillar of snowballs with somebody else. We built it in the center of an area surrounded by the library and a bunch of CHAT-Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto.
    -it was humongous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The base was quite wide.
    The top fell off within one hour.
    But it was very fun.

    ReplyDelete